the scoop on the wedding (part two)

(Read Part One here)


Dear Friends, 
Many of you have asked to hear about the wedding, and though I owe some of you letters, I thought I’d write it up while it was fresh on my mind and I had some free time. And then, why not just post it here? I’ll write the letters for sure, but for now, you get this report! We will have the pictures in about 6 weeks, so I’ll be sure to share some of those then. 

I pretty much had to shake the ring off my thumb to give it to the minister, but the eventually did exchange rings, exchange vows (traditional from The Common Book of Prayer) and kiss. I wish I could’ve seen the kiss, but I was, ya know…aligned with them on the stage. Then they walked out to the wedding march and Joey rang the church bell. It was awesome.

Then the groom’s men escorted the bride’s maids out and we circled back around the back entrance to take photos in the church. After a photo shoot (which wasn’t very long, to our relief) we drove down the block to the rose gardens for the reception. We changed out of our heels into flipflops and the couple was introduced.

The rest of the evening we ate delicious food prepared by my aunts and aunt-ish friends. There was all sorts of gourmet finger food. Then we had cake, which was delicious.

After that, we danced. My favorite part was doing the chicken dance. Watching everyone who joined in (both those who knew it before and those who just felt inclined to participate!) was hilarious. We were sweaty by this point, though the sun had gone down and dropped the temperature into the nineties.

I got to sit down with my group of friends and eat a little and then mingle with everyone else. There were so many people that it was just *so* good to see. Some of them I hadn’t seen in a long time, others were dear friends from this chapter whom I was simply glad to share this memory with.

The reception was under a pavilion and a tent, all lit up with paper lanterns and string lights. The decor was also courtesy of my aunts and cousins. There were candles and beautiful green and white flower arrangements–everyone kept commenting on how lovely it was.

Finally it was time for the bride and groom to leave. The entire wedding party, at this point, realized that no one had decorated the car. We still feel really bad about this…but oh well-we were busy!

We all lined up along the pathway that led through a trellis, to my brother-in-law’s car. Many of the guests had left at this time (it was an out-of-town wedding for 100% of us and they had to get home.) When they walked out in their adorable going-away clothes (she in a little white dress and he in a suit and fedora) we all showered them with  hand-fulls of rose petals and cheered. Then a select group ran up and gave them hugs before they cruised away (checking their backseat before pulling out!)

After this, we cleaned up and went home with a trailer full of food and flowers. It was 4:00 Monday morning before I went to bed, but I was still on an adrenalin high. I am so glad that I didn’t have to get up for work that morning like so many others did! 

Monday was very relaxing. Waking up all alone was strange because I knew that it wasn’t Sabrina’s place anymore, but for the most part it just felt like she had gotten up earlier than me, which happened a lot in the past!

I had to comfort Molly (Sabrina’s dog) and give her cheese and play with her, tuck her in at night. Fairlight had to put Sabrina’s cat inside when it got dark. Jubilee got to put her toothbrush in the toothbrush holder now that there is an extra slot. Nobody knows what to do with the random ingredients we brought home from the wedding (Sabrina would!)

I haven’t cried at all since then, it’s felt very right and good and peaceful. She’s not gone forever, you know. ;)

We got word that they landed safely at their honeymoon destination and they sounded like they were having a wonderful time.

And I went to work this morning, sleepy as a sloth. We ate wedding food for lunch, I wrote some blog posts and folded some laundry. Life goes on. Good life. Full life. Happy times. I’m very excited for Sabrina’s return so we can talk over everything and also for the pictures to arrive. Six weeks seems like so long.

I have lots of space in the bedroom now. I’m going to move my clothes (many of which have been camping on my floor and chair for a while) into the closet, vacuum and dust and perhaps put spare books into Sabrina’s old chest of drawers. Someday soon I’m going to repaint and all that jazz, but for now, I’ll just be happy to have a clean room that isn’t making me sneeze all the time.

I hope you enjoyed this account. Everything was really, really lovely and your notes have meant much to this little sister. I am as happy as a clover flower (seems like something happy to me!) and really doing well. 

I am hoping to lead a more organized life now that the wedding is behind us. Hopefully that will mean more posts and better posts and lots more life outside of Clickety-Clack.

Much love,

(picture credit)

4 Responses to the scoop on the wedding (part two)

  1. Everly Pleasant September 28, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

    It was. :)

    Thank you, Lilla!

    Love, Everly

  2. Lilla September 28, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

    Awww…it all sounds so lovely and story-bookish. So very happy for you all!!!

  3. Everly Pleasant September 28, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

    Haha, I wondered if people might think that! Maybe someday, Rael! I’ll be sure to title that post “MY Wedding”!



  4. Rael September 28, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

    Everly, I saw your post title in my blog list this morning, and at first a bit of shock struck me – “Everly’s married?!?” ;-)

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes